Man shot to death by officer; crowd angry

Written By BY TINA SFONDELES Staff Reporter Posted: 05/01/2014, 07:21am
Array Police block off the area where a man was shot by police officers and killed near the 6200 block of S. Rhodes. | Al Podgorski/Chicago Sun-Times

Hundreds of people stood on a Woodlawn street for hours, many yelling and demanding answers from dozens of uniformed police officers after a man was shot to death Saturday morning by a Chicago Police officer who said the man pointed a gun at him.

Raason Shaw, 20, of the 7800 block of South Merrill Avenue, died at the scene, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Shaw was wanted on a warrant for missing a court appearance on a misdemeanor criminal trespass charge, family members said. Court records show he had been found guilty Aug. 5 and sentenced to one year of conditional discharge, which was due to end Sept. 15.

Family members said Shaw was shot when he ran from the police, who said Shaw had pointed a gun at officers after a drug deal.

“He was going to the family house, and they shot him,” said Sherrell Harris, Shaw’s sister, standing on 63rd Street not far from where the shooting happened. “They shot to kill.”

“He was going to the family house, and they shot him,” said Harris, standing on 63rd Street not far from where the shooting happened. “They shot to kill.”

According to the police, two officers in a squad car saw a man hand over drugs to someone around 8:45 a.m. Saturday in the 6200 block of South Eberhart Avenue. They said that when the officers got out and approached the man, he ran. One officer chased the man through a gangway to the 6200 block of South Rhodes Avenue, where the man pointed a gun at the officer, who then shot him, according to the police.

Police said a Glock semi-automatic handgun — with a laser sight and an extended high-capacity magazine — was found at the scene.

Raekwon Harris said his cousin was shot in the back.

“He had a warrant out, but it ain’t worth getting shot for,” Harris said. “That don’t give them no right to shoot him.”

Harris said Shaw saw the police and ran and that an officer fired several times.

“I pulled in to the alley, and the officer was in the back yard standing over him with his gun down,” Harris said as his cousin lay face-down on the ground. “So when I got there, he said, ‘Get back, get back, I will shoot.’ I’m like, ‘You gonna shoot? You just shot him. You gonna shoot somebody else?’ ”

Family members said Shaw worked in construction.

Police blocked off 63rd Street for at least five blocks as hundreds stood on the street for nearly three hours. Family members said people in the neighborhood knew Raason Shaw.

The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating.

Contributing: Sun-Times Media Wire


Twitter: @TinaSfon

Browse More 'Uncategorized'