Patrick Finley’s doodles come to life to recap Bears’ training camp
The Bears strict media policies prevent reporters from being able to take pictures or videos during most practices. So Bears beat reporter-turned-doodler Patrick Finley turned to his notepad rather than his phone to record some of the most thrilling action.
Here’s what you may have missed from Bears camp over the last two weeks:
- Bears wide receiver Tanner Gentry made a one-handed touchdown catch at training camp on Aug. 8.
- Bears’ walk-through practice was closed to the public on July 28, so Finley did his best to show fans a live look at quarterback Mitch Trubisky.
- During a Punt return drill, Tarik Cohen caught three balls without putting others down, but dropped the fourth attempt.
- The Bears used volleyballs to practice pinning down punts at the one-yard line.
- Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky rifled a low touchdown pass to undrafted wide receiver Tanner Gentry in one practice.
- The Bears were forced to move practice to an indoor track and basketball court due to weather one day.
- The Bears used taped-up tennis rackets to mimic tall pass rushers. Finley reports and shows that quarterback Mike Glennon still sees the field well.
- Finley was able to capture one of the most thrilling plays at practice on Aug. 7. Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky threw a pass to running back Ka’Deem Carey, which was tipped to wide receiver Rueben Randle for a touchdown.
The Bears had Wednesday off of training camp to rest up for their first preseason game against the Broncos on Thursday at 7 p.m.
Finley had the day off of covering the Bears but stayed busy working around the house, according to his wife, Kori.
For more drawings, following Finley on Twitter: @PatrickFinley