JOB OPENING: Sr. Vice President, Advertising
Chicago’s new Sun-Times is looking for a Sr. Vice President, Advertising who will be part of a start-up culture to transform this important civic asset into a strong, cross-platform media company. He or she will create value for our advertising partners while increasing Sun-Times revenue across all our media platforms.
The Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago brand, with a reputation for having the backs of working women and men across the metropolitan area. The company has acquired new digital media capabilities that will give the new Sr. Vice President the tools to take clients to new markets and to help them grow.
We expect all our leaders to act with integrity, to value diversity, to perform at the highest level, and to act with urgency and good judgement, and make a difference. This is an opportunity to be an important member of the leadership team, reporting directly to the CEO.
The Sr. Vice President, Advertising is responsible for all advertising sales and customer account servicing. He or she is accountable for generating profitable revenue streams by providing strategic direction and day-to-day management of the sales divisions and ensuring a customer-focused sales process. As part of the senior leadership team, she or he will help determine new products and services to bring to market. During this period of industry transformation, the leader will also manage the transition to digital revenue streams from primarily print-driven ones.
Major accountabilities include development and implementation of sales strategies, development and leadership of a high-performance sales team, employee development and succession, and organizational effectiveness. He/she ensures sales programs are focused, integrated, differentiated and in-line with corporate goals; educates senior management on sales strategy and partners with other departments to ensure integration of processes and objectives. Other accountabilities include planning department finances and sales administration activities; and serving on and or leading cross-functional planning and policy-making teams.
Some Examples of these Accountabilities in Action
- Profitable Sales Growth
- Set and achieve aggressive sales plans and targets
- Develop and implement sales metrics
- Define and mange sales incentive compensation programs
- Identify new opportunities and partnerships to increase profitable sales.
- Focus sales effort around identifying and fulfilling customers’ current and future needs
- Continuously improve market presence and sale of products and services
- Ensure sales team has access to effective marketing materials and other tools to sell successfully
- Develop and recommend product positioning and pricing strategy to produce increased short- and long-term market share
- Develop marketing materials, advertising, brand positioning and trade show representations
- Strategic Planning
- Participate in senior-level corporate strategy formation
- Formulate and implement short- and long-term objectives for sales profitability and production & direct sales forecasting and set targets accordingly
- Ensure effective customer intimacy strategies are in place for renewal of profitable business
- Ensure market research and competitor analysis information is utilized to improve sales strategies
- Define, plan and drive detailed product requirements, new features and enhancements for core product offerings
- College degree required, MBA or similar formal business education desired
- In-depth business knowledge including financial management skills
- Strong change management experience
- Demonstrated leadership ability including successful track-record of leading a sales force, including digital ad sales
- Senior level leadership of a successful sales force with proven ability to coach managers with specific and measurable objectives in areas such as people management, leadership of a high-performing team, providing exceptional customer service and working in a quality environment
- Knowledge of sales automation systems
Job Title: Sr. Vice President, Advertising
Department: Advertising Sales
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Send a confidential cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org