A person found dead when firefighters extinguished a garage fire last week in west suburban St. Charles has been identified as the 80-year-old man who lived in the home.
Firefighters responded at 7:17 p.m. Friday, July 28, to a blaze in the 400 block of McKinley Street, according to St. Charles Fire Dept. Chief Joe Schelstreet.
The garage was engulfed in flames, but firefighters were able to bring it under control in about 20 minutes. As they continued dousing the fire, firefighters found man dead inside, Schelstreet said.
On Friday, the Kane County coroner’s office said dental records have positively identified the man as Frank Nezrick.
Toxicology samples are being tested and preliminary autopsy results are pending those findings, the coroner’s office said.