Bears' Tillman out for the year

Written By Sun-Times Wire Posted: 12/16/2013, 01:09pm

Sign-up for Chicago Sun-Times newsletters.

Bears cornerback Charles Tillman will not return to the team this year, unable to recover in time from a torn right triceps.

Coach Marc Trestman gave the news Monday, the start of a week in which Tillman was eligible to return to practice.

“(He’s) not far enough in his recovery to do that,” Trestman said.

Tillman was placed on  injured reserve-designated to return Nov. 11, which would have allowed him to return this week and then play a game for the first time were the Bears to reach the first round of the playoffs.

Instead, the cornerback might have been his last game with the Bears. Tillman’s contract is up at the end of the year.

Trestman would not say whether Tillman had surgery, citing privacy concerns, and said it was clear during the course of his recovery he would not return. Tillman was placed on the injured reserve list because the Bears a spot available, he said.

The 32-year old has played for the Bears since being selected in the second round of the 2003 draft. He reached Pro Bowls in 2011 and 2012, and was first-team All-Pro last year.

Tillman said after his injury that he had not “really thought about” his future with the Bears, but insisted he still had the athleticism to stay at cornerback rather than switch to safety.

Browse More 'News'
×