A space heater may be to blame for an extra-alarm fire that left a baby girl injured Wednesday in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood.
Fire crews were called to the 4400 block of South Honore about 3:20 p.m., and rescued the baby and three other people from the burning home, officials said.
The 1-year-old child suffered smoke inhalation and discomfort, and was taken to a hospital in good condition, Fire Media Affairs Chief Larry Langford said.
Fire officials initially said another person was taken to the hospital, but later clarified he was a teenager accompanying the baby. He was not hurt.
The baby girl was expected to be treated and released from University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital, according to a police report.
Crews brought the fire under control about 4:10 p.m., authorities said. Flames damaged two adjacent homes, and siding was blackened and peeling from both buildings.
The fire may have started with a space heater on the second floor of the building where the girl was rescued, the police report said.