Suit: 3 NW suburban men sickened by infected boar meat after hunt

SHARE Suit: 3 NW suburban men sickened by infected boar meat after hunt

Three Des Plaines men who claim they contracted parasitic infections from eating tainted boar meat are suing the Missourihunting reserve where they killed the hogs last year.

Dimitar, Yordan and Miroslav Kyurkchiev paid to go on a boar hunt at High Adventure Ranch in Cook Station, Missouri, on Jan. 15, 2013, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court.

They killed a boar which had fed on a rotten boar carcass, the suit alleges. The parasite trichinella can spread when animals consume the raw flesh of other dead animals, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

When the Kyurkchievs ate the boar meat processed by High Adventure, they contracted trichinellosis, which causes nausea, diarrhea and vomiting that can last for months, according to the suit and the CDC.

A representative for High Adventure Ranch could not immediately be reached for comment Friday evening.

The nine-count suit claims the operators of the ranch were negligent in failing to prevent their live herds from feeding on dead boar. They are seeking at least $450,000 in damages plus court costs.

The Latest
The Eastern Conference-leading Union won 4-1, snapping the Fire’s unbeaten streak at five and dropping them three points out of the final playoff spot.
X-rays taken Friday were negative, and Robert’s status remains day-to-day.
Sore legs don’t keep veteran from having impact on basepaths.
The boy was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition.