(SCHAUMBURG) Police in northwest suburban Schaumburg are cautioning pet owners after a dog became sickened by a tainted treat left in its yard.
A resident in the 0 to 100 block of Stevens Drive called police Monday and said their dog got sick after eating a dog treat found on the ground in their backyard, Schaumburg police said.
The resident did not give their pet the treat, which had some sort of unknown foreign substance stuck in it, police said.
The dog developed some intestinal discomfort and is being treated by a veterinarian, police said. The Arlington Heights Animal Hospital later posted the photo of the treats on their Facebook page, and said veterinarians there are caring for the dog.
The incident appears to be isolated, and authorities have not seen any other similar cases. However, police are urging pet owners to closely watch their dogs during walks or while playing in their yards.