(LOMBARD) A home in west suburban Lombard sustained $250,000 in damage during a fire late Tuesday night that was caused by smoking materials.
A few minutes before midnight, firefighters responded to a garage fire in the 400 block of West Collen Drive, according to a statement from the Lombard Fire Department.
One of the home’s residents heard a “pop” in the garage and opened the door to find it engulfed in flames, Department Chief Paul DiRienzo told a reporter at the scene.
When firefighters arrived, a “large volume” of fire was found in the garage and was moving up the side of the house into the attic, according to the statement. Two cars parked in the driveway were also on fire.
Four people who lived in the home were displaced as a result of the fire, but no injuries were reported, DiRienzo said.
“Everybody was able to get out and nobody was hurt,” he said.
The blaze was extinguished in about 30 minutes, according to the statement.
Battalion Chief Ray Kickert said the fire was caused by smoking materials in the garage.
Damage to the home is estimated at $250,000.