clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

No bond for man charged with shooting that sparked police chase

A man who allegedly shot someone before fleeing from officers who witnessed the shooting Sunday night in South Chicago was ordered held without bond Tuesday, though he remains in critical condition.

James Hopkins, 22, of the 14800 block of South Chicago in Dolton is charged with murder, attempted first-degree murder, and aggravated battery/discharge of a weapon, according to Chicago Police.

Officers were parked in an alley conducting surveillance on a home in the 8000 block of South Manistee about 9:45 p.m. Sunday when Hopkins, wearing a black hoodie, walked up to the house and shot four to five times at a man standing in the doorway, prosecutors allege.

The 24-year-old man was shot in the leg and taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was treated and released, authorities said.

Hopkins got into the front passenger seat of a getaway car, which fled southbound on Manistee, prosecutors said. The officers who witnessed the shooting followed and radioed for assistance.

The driver at one point slowed down as if to stop, then accelerated again, prosecutors said. One of the officers then saw the shooter remove his hoodie. The car accelerated to over 100 miles per hour, and other squad cars arrived to intercept the car.

When the car neared 83rd and Essex, an officer saw a firearm tossed out of the passenger side window, prosecutors said.

The car crashed into another vehicle at 92nd and Jeffery, then struck a tree and flipped over, authorities said.

The driver of the getaway car, 24-year-old Deandra Washington of the 14900 block of South Langley in Dolton, was dead at the scene, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

The driver of the other vehicle, a 27-year-old woman, was taken to a hospital as a precaution but was not hurt.

Officers at the scene recovered the black hoodie from Washington’s car, prosecutors said. The gun was also recovered.

Hopkins remains in critical condition Tuesday, prosecutors said. He suffered a broken bone in his back, a broken arm and a ruptured bladder, which requires surgery.

He did not appear in court Tuesday because he remains in the hospital. Judge Peggy Chiampas ordered him held without bond.