clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Fistfight leads to gunshots, another dead Chicago teen

Tyler Eliis, 15, was gunned down near his Altgeld Gardens home on Dec. 16. He died Friday | (family photo)

It started as a fist fight.

But it was settled with a gun.

And ten days after Tyler Ellis was shot in the head in Altgeld Gardens, the 15-year-old died Friday night.

Chicago’s latest teenage victim of gun violence lived with his mother in the Far South Side housing project.

“I don’t even know how to feel,” his mom Yolanda Hurt said. “I don’t have a heart right now because I’m heartbroken. I really want justice for what happened to my baby.”

Tyler was shot Dec. 16 just before 8 p.m. in the 600 block of East 133rd Street, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

He lived in the 700 block of East 131st Street, the medical examiner’s office said.

He had been at a friend’s house and was on his way home when the brother of a boy that had fought Tyler earlier came back with a gun, Hurt said.

After the initial rounds of fire knocked Tyler down, the shooter “stood over him and finished shooting,” Hurt said. Her son was shot six times.

Hurt said she doesn’t know what the earlier fist fight was about. But her son, she said, wasn’t in a gang.

He was a 9th grader at Larry Hawkins, a Chicago International Charter School, and he played drums at church, boxed, skateboarded and loved technology.

For Christmas, Hurt bought her son electronics, including a laptop, speakers and video games.

‘He’s not even here to open it,” she said.

Tyler, known as “Silk,” was known at school for his hair, which he dyed a rich bronze and styled in twists.

Police had nobody in custody Saturday night. Hurt said she wants witnesses to come forward.

The family is also asking for financial help to bury the teen. A cousin, 24th Ward Republican Committeeman Larry G. Nelson, said anyone seeking to help can call him at 773-458-9512.

A vigil is planned for Sunday at 4:30 at 133rd and Langley.