Judge delays Boston Marathon bombing trial, won’t move it

SHARE Judge delays Boston Marathon bombing trial, won’t move it

BOSTON — A judge has granted a two-month trial delay for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, but denied a defense request to move his trial.

Judge George O’Toole ruled Wednesday night that the trial will begin Jan. 5 instead of Nov.3.

He said there’s no reason to assume before the trial that a fair jury cannot be found in Massachusetts.

Defense attorneys had asked to have the trial moved to Washington, D.C., and delayed until at least September 2015.

Prosecutors say 21-year-old Tsarnaev and his now-deceased older brother placed two pressure cooker bombs that exploded near the marathon’s finish line last year. Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured.

Tsarnaev could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Latest
Police couldn’t confirm if the incidents were related to each other, but said there was an increased number of officers in the area following Chicago’s first pride parade since 2019.
The woman, 24, swung a knife during a fight and stabbed three people in the 1000 block of West Belmont Avenue about 11:25 p.m., police said.
The driver, an 89-year-old woman, was among those who were hurt.
The woman, 22, was in a fight in the 5300 block of South Carpenter Street when she was stabbed in the chest and arms, police said.
The sergeant was attempting to arrest a male in the 3300 block of North Clark Street about 8:35 p.m. when he was punched in the head by a 21-year-old woman.