It may seem like Chicago-favorite Wilco has been around forever, but it’s really only 20 years since frontman Jeff Tweedy went his separate ways from Jay Farrar and and Uncle Tupeloto form one of the best-reviewed American rock bands.
As rocky as that journey has sometimes been – though the band is as stable as it’s ever been – it’s an anniversary. And so Wilco is gonna throw a party, complete with a small tour and some best of releases including rarities and b-sides.
Wilco’s never been a band that needs a particular reason to play shows, but this time, they’ve got one. They’ll play a string of late-2014 dates as part of the band’s 20th anniversary celebration (yes, that’s right, Wilco’s been a band for 20 years. We can’t believe it either). The brief fall tour begins at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on Oct. 21, followed by stops in Knoxville, Raleigh and Port Chester, NY. Can’t get to a show? Tune in for Wilco’s performance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on October 27. Wonder what song they’ll do — how will they choose?? And, the anniversary party won’t stop there – we’ll soon announce news about two forthcoming releases – Wilco’s first-ever Best Of collection and a Rarities box we’re pretty sure you’re gonna love.
Here’s the dates so far – surely a Chicago presence will be felt?
- September 3 – Columbus, OH –LC Pavilion
- September 4 – Akron, OH –Akron Civic Theatre
- September 6 – Arrington, VA –Lockn’ Festival
- September 7 – Arrington, VA –Lockn’ Festival
- October 21 – Nashville, TN –Ryman Auditorium
- October 22 – Nashville, TN –Ryman Auditorium
- October 23 – Knoxville, TN –Tennessee Theatre
- October 25 – Raleigh, NC –North Carolina Museum of Art
- October 28 – Port Chester, NY –Capitol Theatre
- October 29 – Port Chester, NY –Capitol Theatre