The Chicago Bears are on the verge of signing controversial defensive end Ray McDonald, according to reports.
McDonald was in the news quite a bit last year after being arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence, a topic very much in the news in the wake of the Ray Rice video.
Here’s a look at McDonald’s history of legal troubles, dating back to a DUI arrest in 2010.
June 13, 2010: McDonald is arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. The 25-year-old was pulled over on Interstate 280 after being clocked driving upwards of 94 miles per hour.
July 22, 2010: McDonald pleads not guilty to driving under the influence. He was later sentenced to complete a first-offender program.
Feb. 8, 2012: McDonald is arrested for an outstanding warrant after failing to provide proof that he completed the first-offender program.
May 25, 2014: San Jose police were called to McDonald’s home to respond to an alleged incident of a woman grabbing a man’s gun. Police did not identify either person by name, according to ESPN, but multiple reports indicated the subjects were McDonald and his fiancée.
Aug. 31, 2014: McDonald is arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence in San Jose. Police reported “visible injuries” to the alleged victim, who was believed to be McDonald’s fiancée. The incident took place at a party for McDonald’s 30th birthday. Other 49ers players were in attendance. Charges were never filed because of insufficient evidence.
• Dec. 16, 2014 — Items — including a video surveillance system, bedding and phone — are taken by police from McDonald’s home after a woman accuses him of sexual assault Dec 14. She claimed, after falling unconscious, McDonald had sex with her without her consent. No arrests have been made.
• Dec. 17, 2014 — The 49ers release McDonald, siting a “pattern of poor decision-making.”
• March 24, 2015 — The Bears sign McDonald to a one-year, $1.06 million deal. Chairman George McCaskey said he met with McDonald and called his parents before approving the signing.
• March 16, 2015 — McDonald files a defamation lawsuit against his December accuser.
• May 25, 2015 — McDonald is arrested in Northern California on misdemeanor domestic violence and child endangerment charges. Santa Clara, Calif, police said McDonald was accused of assaulting a woman while she was holding a baby. He is released by the Bears.
David Just contributed.