Police: Man subdued after gun goes off in Megabus bathroom

SHARE Police: Man subdued after gun goes off in Megabus bathroom

A passenger was subdued on a Megabus on the Jane Addams Tollway after a gun discharged in the bus bathroom. |Sun-Times File Photo

A man who accidentally discharged his weapon while using the bathroom inside a Megabus traveling on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway in Des Plaines Tuesday night was ultimately subdued by a passenger and held until police arrived.

About 11 p.m., the man – no age was available – got into an argument with the driver after he discharged his weapon and asked to get off the bus, Illinois State Police said. The driver declined to let him off the bus, and the man went back to get his belongings from the back of the bus.

After securing his belongings he walked back toward the driver and stumbled, causing his pistol to fall out of his waistband, police said. A passenger saw the gun come out and quickly subdued the man and held him until troopers arrived at a parking lot off I-90, just east of Elmhurst road, police said.

No one was reported to have been injured.

Police said Wednesday morning they were having a difficult time identifying the man as he was not cooperating with investigators and he had “no ID, no nothing on him.”

Megabus spokesman Sean Hughes says passengers were transferred to another bus “out of abundance of caution” and continued the trip.

Further details were not available.

Contributing: AP

The Latest
College students who will be living away from home for the first time need to inquire about voting requirements in the state where they intend to live for the next year.
Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ easily went through the Bears’ first-team defense (well, most of it) for a touchdown Saturday, but that’s not going to increase the urgency to get Smith back on the field. Still, Bears GM Ryan Poles will be challenged to have this impasse end well.
Raymond Comer, 37, was shot after officers “clearly directed [him] multiple times to not retrieve the weapon,” according to an arrest report.
About 5 a.m., a car was traveling south in the 7000 block of South Jeffery Boulevard when it ran over four males.
Victor Manuel-Reyes, 36, was arrested Friday after he was identified as the person who rode on a scooter and sexually assaulted women.