Battery may have caused fire that killed man, 93, in Ashburn

SHARE Battery may have caused fire that killed man, 93, in Ashburn

An electric wheelchair battery could be to blame for a fire that killed a 93-year-old man Tuesday in Ashburn.

Walter Haton died at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park after the fire in the 3300 block of West 83rd Place.

Authorities think a lithium battery used to power an electric wheelchair started the fire, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.


The Latest
“It’s all about winning,” Andrus said before his first game in a White Sox uniform Friday at Cleveland
The location becomes the seventh in the Chicago area to align with Workers United, part of the Service Employees International Union.
The pressure is on the WNBA’s defending champs, who presumably aren’t all that eager to find themselves on the business end of what would be one of the biggest postseason upsets in league history.
A candidate needs money to put images and zingers in TV ads and to amplify them throughout the online world. Darren Bailey still has no money to do that.
The Bears have more than three weeks until their season opener against the 49ers.