Seattle man facing attempted murder charge for Calumet City shooting dies

SHARE Seattle man facing attempted murder charge for Calumet City shooting dies

A Seattle man who was wounded in a shootout in south suburban Calumet City and later charged with attempted murder died Friday morning.

Authorities say Efrem Haile, 25, was shot in self-defense on May 4 and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead just before 9 a.m. on Friday. Charges were filed in the incident against him, Roshinda Young, 22; Rakeem Wilton, 20; Jeff McGraw, 21; Monique Lane-Calhoun, 24; and Brittany Dupree, 20.

About 12:40 p.m. the day of the shooting, Haile, McGraw, Wilton, Young, and Lane-Calhoun went to buy marijuana at Smiley’s Plaza when they met and began arguing with a 22-year-old man, prosecutors claim. The group left the man and drove off from the store. McGraw then called Dupree, who lived nearby, saying they were going to come pick up a gun from her.

The group, armed with the gun, went back to look for the man they had argued with. Haile spotted him a block from the plaza, got out of the car and fired several shots in a gangway, prosecutors said.

The 22-year-old was shot four times but was also armed and fired back at Haile, who was struck “several” times, prosecutors said.

Lane-Calhoun and Young — Haile’s girlfriend – got out of their vehicle, and Young tried to shoot one of the guns at the 22-year-old, but it didn’t fire. The women then grabbed both firearms and gave them to the men waiting in the vehicle, who drove to Dupree’s apartment and gave her the guns to hide, prosecutors claim.

Police arrived and arrested Young, Lane-Calhoun, McGraw and Wilton at the scene after speaking with the victim and other witnesses, prosecutors said. They later arrested Dupree after spotting her leaving McGraw’s apartment with a bag of handguns, including two used in the shooting.

An autopsy performed Saturday ruled Rezene’s death a homicide and found he died of complications from multiple gunshot wounds. He lived in Seattle, Wash., the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

The 22-year-old victim was initially in critical condition, police said.

Cook County sheriff’s officers held Haile in custody at Stroger from May 9 until Friday, when he died, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Sophia Ansari said. He was facing charges of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery with a firearm, according to court records. A judge at the south suburban Markham courthouse ordered Haile held on a $1 million bond.

Bonds for the others were $750,000 for McGraw; $300,000 each for Young and Dupree; $250,000 for Wilton; and $50,000 for Lane-Calhoun. Their exact charges were not immediately known.

The Latest
The Bears’ lack of wide receivers and cornerbacks are particularly concerning, not just so the team can run a competent practice, but for Saturday’s preseason opener against the Chiefs.
Chicago follows behind New York City, several Texas cities and Indianapolis, among others.
Almost half of the Bears’ projected starters for Saturday’s preseason opener are new to the franchise.
If only these folks were as mad about the insurrectionist siege on the U.S. Capitol as they’re pretending to be about the raid on Trump’s Palm Beach golf club.
The mayoral candidate unveils six-point plan to tackle gun violence on trains and buses.