GPS tracking device leads police to Loop bank robbery suspect

SHARE GPS tracking device leads police to Loop bank robbery suspect

Surveillance photo of the man who robbed a First American Bank branch Friday morning in the Loop. | FBI

A Loop bank robbery suspect was arrested Friday after a GPS tracking device placed in the stolen cash led police to his location, authorities said.

The robbery happened about noon at a First American Bank branch at 33 W. Monroe St., authorities said.

Stacey Hill entered the bank and handed a teller a note demanding cash, according to a criminal complaint filed Saturday. The note also said, “Don’t take the note.”

Hill then motioned to his waistband, implying he had a weapon, and said, “Don’t press the button. Give me all the cash. Everything in the drawer,” the complaint said.

The teller handed over $2,513 in cash, including a hidden GPS tracking device, the complaint said.

The tracking device began transmitting a signal “minutes” after the robbery, leading Chicago Police to his location, the complaint said. Hill was arrested just before 1 p.m. and all of the cash was recovered.

Hill – whose age was not immediately available – later admitted to the robbery during an interview with an FBI agent, adding that he tore up the demand note he first handed to the teller, the complaint said.

No one was injured during the robbery.

Hill was charged with bank robbery. His court information wasn’t known on Sunday.

The Latest
Someone inside a vehicle fired gunshots, then the car fled the area, Six Flags officials said Sunday night.
The No. 2 Sky will play the No. 7 Liberty in a best-of-three first-round series starting Wednesday.
Drives in winning run in all three games against Tigers.
Sox savor three-game sweep of bottom-feeding Tigers, aware that key series vs. Astros, Guardians are ahead.
Jayden Higgs, 23, was shot in the head on Thursday in Back of the Yards. Raymond Comer, a 37-year-old felon, was struck multiple times on Friday when an officer fired 11 shots on the Near West Side. They both remained hospitalized.