Aurora drug dealer will serve 20 years, whenever police can catch him again

SHARE Aurora drug dealer will serve 20 years, whenever police can catch him again

A west suburban drug dealer — who freed himself from a court-ordered tracking device and has not been seen since — has been sentenced to 20 years in prison despite missing his trial.

Eric Chapa, 30, whose last address was in the 1100 block of Trask Street in Aurora, was sentenced Friday by Associate Judge Clint Hull to 20 years after being convicted in absentia on Jan. 9 of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, according to the Kane County state’s attorney’s office.

On Feb. 20, 2014, Aurora police searched Chapa’s home and found more than 600 grams of cocaine and about 100 grams of marijuana, according to a statement from prosecutors. He told police “he sells cocaine and earns a monthly profit of more than $3,000,” prosecutors said.

Chapa was freed on $7,500 bail, but on Aug. 15, 2014, he managed to remove a court-ordered GPS device and fled, prosecutors said. He remains a fugitive, and anyone with information should call Aurora police at (630) 256-5500 or Aurora Area CrimeStoppers at (630) 892-1000.

By law, Chapa must serve at least 75 percent of the sentence for the Class X felony, and will get credit for 91 days served in the Kane County jail.

“Mr. Chapa will resurface at some point, and when he does he will realize that he compounded his problems by fleeing,” State’s Attorney Joe McMahon said in the statement.

The Latest
The car was later found in the West Woodlawn neighborhood about 11 miles away and it was not known if the carjacker was hit, according to Chicago police.
The man, 43, was with a group of people near the 2600 block of North Cannon Drive when he slipped and fell into the water early Wednesday.
She-Hulk’s look adds to the campy fun of this borderline silly but always entertaining chapter in the never-ending Marvel saga.
A man while fatally shot while in a car in the 3100 block of West Huron Street.
The man, 57, was attacked about 2:20 a.m. in the 3500 block of West Pershing Road, Chicago police said.