$1M bond for man charged with Park Forest crash that killed two teens

SHARE $1M bond for man charged with Park Forest crash that killed two teens

Jonathan Hurst | Park Forest police

A south suburban man charged with reckless homicide and DUI for a crash that killed two teenagers early Wednesday in Park Forest has been ordered held on a $1 million bond.

Jonathan Hurst, 22, is charged with two counts each of reckless homicide and aggravated DUI involving a fatality, and one count of failing to report a fatal crash, according to a statement from Park Forest police.

Hurst was driving under the influence of alcohol when he crashed near Western Avenue and Algonquin Street about 12:30 a.m., police claim.

Before the wreck, a police officer on patrol saw the vehicle speeding southbound on Western Avenue about 12:30 a.m., police said previously.

The vehicle turned eastbound onto Algonquin Street into a residential area, out of the officer’s sight, police said. The officer also turned onto Algonquin and saw the vehicle speed westbound on Allegheny Street and then back onto Algonquin.

The vehicle sped out of sight again before the officer could turn around, and by the time he found it again, it had left the roadway, striking a utility pole and tree at Algonquin and Western.

Police later learned the vehicle had been reported stolen from Ford Heights on June 1.

Two teenage boys who were riding in the car were killed, authorities said.

Donovon Scruggs, a 15-year-old from Park Forest, was taken to St. James Hospital in Olympia Fields where he later died, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Amire Clark, 16, of Richton Park, was pronounced dead at the scene. Both died of multiple injuries and their deaths were ruled accidents, the medical examiner’s office said.

Hurst ran away after the crash, and later went to St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights for treatment, police said.

He told hospital staff his injuries were not related to a crash, but Chicago Heights police were called and they then called Park Forest Police. He was treated for minor injuries and taken into custody.

Hurst, of Country Club Hills, was ordered held on a $1 million bond at a hearing Friday, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office. He will next appear in court July 2 at the Markham courthouse.

The Latest
Safety Juan Thornhill dropped his right should into Fields’ head on a slide, and Fields couldn’t believe there was no flag.
Smith, who demanded a trade Tuesday, did conditioning work with his teammates about two hours before kickoff of Saturday’s exhibition opener against the Chiefs.
Two men were fatally shot Friday in their vehicles in separate shootings about three miles apart on the South Side.
The league’s collective-bargaining agreement with the players, signed in 2020 and effective through the 2027 season, doesn’t include charter flights
The man, 38, was driving in the 500 block of West 95th Street when someone fired a gun from the sidewalk.