A West Side man was ordered held without bail Wednesday for allegedly shooting into a crowd and killing a 15-year-old boy who had been watching two women fight.
Marlon Welton had been watching the fight on June 16 with others before he started firing as the tussle between the women had broken up in the 1400 block of South Millard Street, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Barry Quinn said.
Martese Gentry, 15, was standing in a porch when two bullets hit his back, Quinn said.
Gentry, of the 800 block of South Kedzie, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead later that night, authorities said.
Police officers, who had heard the commotion, had walked toward the fight when Welton, 20, started shooting, Quinn said.
The officers saw Welton near the porch where Gentry was shot and they also saw a black object in Welton’s pocket, Quinn said.
The officers chased Welton but he escaped. Welton, of the 3300 block of West Douglas Boulevard, was arrested Monday.
He was identified by witnesses as the shooter, Quinn said.