Police: Two killed, seven wounded in Chicago shootings since Thursday afternoon

SHARE Police: Two killed, seven wounded in Chicago shootings since Thursday afternoon

Two people were killed, including a 17-year-old boy, and another seven were wounded in shootings on the South and West sides since Thursday afternoon, police said.

About 4:50 p.m., one man was killed and another was wounded in a shooting in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood, police said.

The men, 20 and 28, were standing outside in the 7800 block of South Drexel Avenue about 4:50 p.m. when they heard gunshots and saw two people running away, police said.

The older man was shot in the head and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he later died, police said. The younger man was shot in the buttocks. His condition was stabilized at Stroger.

The 17-year-old was shot to death in the Burnside neighborhood on the South Side about 9:45 p.m. Thursday, according to police.

Officers on patrol near the 1300 block of East 94th Street heard gunfire and found Demetrius M. Peebles on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Peebles, of the 2100 block of South Harper Avenue, was dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said.

The most recent nonfatal shooting occurred early Friday in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood.

Shortly after 2 a.m., a 40-year-old woman was shot several times in the 7200 block of South Artesian, police said. She was taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where her condition stabilized.

An hour earlier, a 23-year-old man was shot in the leg while sitting on a porch in the 5700 block of South Wolcott, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition stabilized.

Just before midnight Thursday, a 27-year-old manwas shot in the face near 92nd and Laflin streets in the Washington Heights neighborhood, police said. He was also taken to Christ Medical Center, where his condition stabilized.

About 11:20 p.m., a man was 29-year-old man was sitting in a car parked in the 2800 block of West Roosevelt when another vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire, police said. The man was shot several times and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was listed in serious condition.

Five minutes earlier, a 31-year-old man was walking near the intersection of Pershing and Wells in the Wentworth Gardens neighborhood when someone in a passing gray van shot him in the leg, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition stabilized.

Thursday afternoon’s first shooting occurred about 1:15 p.m. in the 3900 block of South Prairie, police said.

A 32-year-old man was shot in the arm and being treated at Mercy Hospital, where he was listed in good condition.

The Latest
College students who will be living away from home for the first time need to inquire about voting requirements in the state where they intend to live for the next year.
Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ easily went through the Bears’ first-team defense (well, most of it) for a touchdown Saturday, but that’s not going to increase the urgency to get Smith back on the field. Still, Bears GM Ryan Poles will be challenged to have this impasse end well.
Raymond Comer, 37, was shot after officers “clearly directed [him] multiple times to not retrieve the weapon,” according to an arrest report.
About 5 a.m., a car was traveling south in the 7000 block of South Jeffery Boulevard when it ran over four males.
Victor Manuel-Reyes, 36, was arrested Friday after he was identified as the person who rode on a scooter and sexually assaulted women.