White House press briefing interrupted amid security concern

SHARE White House press briefing interrupted amid security concern

Secret Service police move members of the media outside the briefing room as they evacuate parts of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, June 9, 2015. | Evan Vucci / AP

WASHINGTON — The White House briefing room was evacuated Tuesday amid security concerns.

Secret Service officers interrupted a live, televised press briefing with White House press secretary Josh Earnest and evacuated the James S. Brady Briefing Room shortly after 2 p.m. The officers would not say what prompted the evacuation, and the White House had no immediate information about the incident.

UPDATES: Briefing will resume after room cleared

Reporters were escorted to a driveway separating the West Wing from the neighboring office building. They were relocated minutes later to a holding space in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, where the vice president has his office.

Although journalists were required to leave the West Wing, it appeared that many White House officials were still inside and that the entire building had not been evacuated.

The Secret Service did not immediately respond to inquiries about the security incident.

Although parts of the White House have been evacuated before, including after a fence-jumper made it inside the White House last year, this was the first time that an evacuation occurred during a televised press briefing.

Many television networks have permanent cameras installed in the briefing room. Journalists from some of those networks said that following the evacuation, the cameras were pointed up to the ceiling such that the briefing room was no longer visible.

JOSH LEDERMAN, Associated Press

The Latest
College students who will be living away from home for the first time need to inquire about voting requirements in the state where they intend to live for the next year.
Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ easily went through the Bears’ first-team defense (well, most of it) for a touchdown Saturday, but that’s not going to increase the urgency to get Smith back on the field. Still, Bears GM Ryan Poles will be challenged to have this impasse end well.
Raymond Comer, 37, was shot after officers “clearly directed [him] multiple times to not retrieve the weapon,” according to an arrest report.
About 5 a.m., a car was traveling south in the 7000 block of South Jeffery Boulevard when it ran over four males.
Victor Manuel-Reyes, 36, was arrested Friday after he was identified as the person who rode on a scooter and sexually assaulted women.