Just in time for the 4th of July holiday weekend comes The Daily Meal’s list of the Top 75 Hot Dog purveyors in America. Considering Americans devour nearly 20 billion hot dogs each year, it seems only fitting we celebrate this foodie favorite by sharing the list which boasts 13 Chicago eateries.
While Chicago didn’t top the list, we can proudly boast that Fat Johnnie’s Famous Red Hots came in at No. 3, and Wiener’s Circle came in at No. 6. The classic Chicago all-beef dog mustard, fresh tomatoes, onions, sport peppers, bright green relish, dill pickles and celery salt.
Here’s the Top 10:
1. Katz’s Deli, New York City
2. Pink’s, Los Angeles
3. Fat Johnnie’s Famous Red Hots: “The Mighty Dog — a hot dog and tamale on a bun with chili and cheese. … it’s one of the best hot dogs you’ll ever have.”
4. Crif Dogs, New York City
5. Lafayette Coney Island, Detroit
6. Wiener’s Circle: “Wiener’s Circle char-grills its dogs rather than steaming them.”
7. Bark Hot Dogs, Brooklyn, N.Y.
8. Ted’s, Buffalo, NY
9. Seti’s Polish Boys, Cleveland
10. Jimmy John’s Pipin’ Hot Sandwiches, West Chester, Pa.
Other Chicago spots to make the list:
26. Franks ‘n’ Dawgs
27. Devil Dawgs
34. Mustard’s Last Stand (Evanston)
60. Gold Coast Dog
61. Jimmy’s Red Hots
Read the full story and view the entire list (and comments) at thedailymeal.com.