With construction season in full swing, several new road projects are scheduled to start Monday — including 27 new bridge rehabilitation projects across the Chicago area, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation.
In Chicago, a bridge repainting project will reduce lanes on the Edens Expressway (I-94) under the Touhy Avenue Bridge on the Northwest Side, IDOT said. The project will wrap up by August 15.
In the northern suburbs, lanes on U.S. Route 41 will be closed between Gurnee and Highland Park until late October for a modernization project, IDOT said. Workers will be constructing shoulders, improving drainage and guardrails and modernizing traffic signals between Route 21 and Park Avenue West.
Lake Cook Road in northwest suburban Deer Park will be reduced to one lane between Ela and Quentin Roads for drainage repairs. Flaggers will be in place to conduct traffic until the project ends in late July.
More than two dozen bridge rehabilitation projects across the Chicago area will also begin Monday. The projects primarily involve routine repairs to bridge barrier and noise walls and will be complete by Oct. 9, IDOT said.
In order to complete the work, temporary lane closures are scheduled for the following locations:
- Southbound Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90) north of 31st Street
- Southbound Bishop Ford Freeway (I-94) just past Michigan Avenue
- Southbound Bishop Ford Freeway (I-94) exit ramp at 130th Street
- Northbound Bishop Ford Freeway (I-94) at and north of 128th Street railroad bridge
- Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) east of Butterfield Road on the right side
- Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) exit ramp east of Butterfield Road
- Lake Street Ramp to Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) eastbound
- Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) eastbound before Division Street exit ramp
- Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) westbound at exits 16A and 16B near Kimball
- Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) over Kimball Avenue
- Des Plaines Avenue over Eisenhower Expressway (I-290)
- Center Street northbound over Tri-State Tollway (I-80)
- Extension ramp from eastbound Lake Cook Road to southbound Route 53
- Southbound U.S. 41 (Skokie Valley Road) south of Deerfield Road
- U.S. 41 (Skokie Valley Road) center median at and south of Parkside Drive
- U.S. 41 (Skokie Valley Road) south of Applewood Court
- U.S. 41 (Skokie Valley Road) south of Old Mill Road
- U.S. 12 over Nippersink Creek
- Ramp from I-355 southbound to westbound U.S. 20
- Eastbound Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) east of Mill Road
- Westbound Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) west of Emroy Avenue