Brown Line trains to reroute underground as Ravenswood Connector work continues

SHARE Brown Line trains to reroute underground as Ravenswood Connector work continues
SHARE Brown Line trains to reroute underground as Ravenswood Connector work continues

Work on the CTA’s Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project will continue this weekend, with Brown Line trains using the subways and likely causing delays for riders.

Once completed, the $90 million rehabilitation will provide smoother, more reliable rides for the more than 40,000 customers who ride Purple Line Express and Brown Line trains each weekday, according to a statement from the CTA.

On Friday, the last Loop-bound Brown Line train operating on the elevated tracks will depart the Fullerton station at 7:20 p.m., and depart Washington/Wells at 7:35 p.m. for the return trip to Kimball, the CTA said.

The first Brown Line train operating via the subway on Friday will depart Fullerton at 7:29 p.m. to Roosevelt, and the first Kimball-bound train will depart Roosevelt at 7:57 p.m.

Brown Line trains will operate normally between Kimball and Fullerton. Customers are encouraged to plan ahead and allow extra travel time.

For customers who wish to board or exit from the Armitage, Sedgwick, Chicago and Merchandise Mart Brown Line stations this weekend, free shuttle buses will operate in both directions between Fullerton and Clark/Lake, making stops at or near affected stations.

For customers in the downtown/Loop area, a shuttle train will operate around the Loop for connections to Brown Line service in the subway and free shuttle buses at Clark/Lake. Customers can board the shuttle train at any Loop elevated station from the Outer Loop platform, which is normally served by Brown Line trains.

The Ravenswood Loop Connector work will require one additional temporary, weekend-only reroute of Brown Line trains to the Red Line subway. Weather permitting, the final weekend reroute of Brown Line trains will begin at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11, until 4 a.m. Monday, Sept. 14.

The Latest
Officers were attempting to pull over a vehicle in the 800 block of North Cicero Avenue that had been reported stolen from a neighboring suburb.
The 21-year-old was found in the basement bathroom of a home in the 200 block of West 105th Street with a gunshot wound to the head.
Xherdan Shaqiri gave the Fire a 3-2 lead in the 89th minute, but it lasted only two minutes as Patryk Klimala scored to keep the Fire in search of their first victory since March 19.
The Sox’ sputtering offense had 10 hits but went 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position