clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man pulled over outside Riverside police station charged with DUI

A Chicago man was charged with DUI after being pulled over in front of a police station early Monday in west suburban Riverside.

An officer spotted a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer stopped in the middle of traffic on Riverside Road at the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad crossing at 1:57 a.m., according to a statement from Riverside police. When the train cleared the crossing, the Trailblazer did not move, and the driver “appeared to be passed out for a moment.”

After a few minutes, the Trailblazer began to move south across the tracks at a very slow speed, impeding the traffic behind it, police said. The officer conducted a traffic stop directly in front of the Riverside Police Department at 31 Riverside Road.

The driver, 22-year-old Javier J. Magana, cracked the vehicle’s window open just enough to give the officer his driver’s license but refused to open it further, police said. The officer smelled a “strong odor” of alcohol and asked Magana to get out of the vehicle. When he opened the door, the smell got even stronger.

When Magana got out of the vehicle, he had a hard time standing and failed a roadside sobriety test, police said. He was taken into custody and walked in handcuffs into the police station from the street.

He told officers he drank at least two to three beers at a Mexican restaurant in Berwyn before he was pulled over, police said. He then asked to call his attorney and refused to blow into a breathalyzer.

Officers found open bottles of Corona and open cans of Coors Light in the front and back seats of the Trailblazer, police said. Two passengers were cited for transportation of open alcohol in a vehicle after they admitted to drinking in the Trailblazer before the traffic stop.

Magana, of the 3900 block of West 67th Place in Chicago, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, violating the minimum speed limit and transporting open alcohol.