3 dead, 29 wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago

SHARE 3 dead, 29 wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago

Three men were killed and at least 29 other people — including a 3-year-old boy — were wounded in shootings across Chicago between Friday evening and Monday morning.

The latest homicide happened early Sunday in Chatham, where one man was killed and another injured on the South Side.

The men, both 25, were at a party in the 600 block of East 79th Street about 2:30 a.m. when a fight broke out and someone opened fire, according to Chicago Police.

Raheem L. Robinson was shot in the abdomen and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died within the hour, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He lived in the 400 block of West 103rd Street.

The other man was taken to the same hospital with a gunshot wound to the right shoulder. His condition stabilized, police said.

Saturday afternoon, an 18-year-old man was shot to death in the Washington Park neighborhood on the South Side.

Brian Johnson showed up at Provident Hospital about 3 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the head after the attack in the 300 block of East 56th Street, authorities said.

He was later transferred to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:15 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said. Johnson, whose home address was not immediately known Monday morning, wasn’t able to communicate with investigators and additional details on the shooting weren’t available.

The weekend’s first fatal shooting happened late Friday in the South Side Auburn Gresham neighborhood.

Terrell Sykes, 20, was standing on the street near his home in the 8500 block of South Hermitage about 11:20 p.m. when he heard gunshots and realized he’d been struck in the abdomen, authorities said.

He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where was pronounced dead an hour later.

The 3-year-old boy was shot Saturday afternoon while standing on a sidewalk in the 5600 block of South Wolcott in the West Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, police said.

Someone fired shots on the block, striking the child in the right leg. He wasn’t the intended target, police said. His condition was stabilized at Comer Children’s Hospital.

The latest nonfatal attack happened early Monday in the Rogers Park neighborhood on the North Side.

A 27-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk in the 1800 block of West Birchwood about 4:25 a.m. when a male exited a dark-colored car nearby and opened fire, police said. The man was shot in the left leg and and was taken to Presence Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, where his condition was stabilized. A police source said the man is a documented gang member.

Sunday afternoon, at left five people were wounded in a two-hour burst of gun violence on the South Side.

About 2:40 p.m., a 23-year-old man was shot in the hand and shoulder by someone in a passing vehicle while he was walking in Englewood’s 5900 block of South Normal. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and his condition was stabilized after the gang-related shooting, police said.

Shortly after 1 p.m., a bullet grazed a 32-year-old man’s head and a 23-year-old woman was shot in the leg in the 5400 block of South Harper in Hyde Park, police said. They were both taken to the University of Illinois Medical Center.

At 12:22 p.m., a 19-year-old man was dropped off at Advocate Trinity Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg after a Calumet Heights neighborhood attack in the 9200 block of South Chappel. He was listed in good condition but wasn’t cooperating with investigators, police said.

Another gang-related shooting happened about the same time in Back of the Yards, where a 16-year-old boy was shot in the 4500 block of South Marshfield. He suffered a leg wound and was taken in good condition to Stroger Hospital.

At least 21 other people were wounded in separate shootings across the city between about 5 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday.

The Latest
Police warn residents to take precautions as three of the people were struck on the head with a gun.
The campaign to help cover funeral expenses for a mother, two daughters has raised more than $60,000 from 1,000 donations, surpassing the goal of $50,000.
The Hawks mustered little pushback in a 3-0 defeat Sunday, marking their fourth time shut out this season. Plus, Luke Richardson discussed his fluky head injury and goalie Jaxson Stauber was called up.
Many members of the 16-person committee had Chicago ties.
Northwestern took the lead late in the first half on a layup by Boo Buie and never relinquished it, leading by as many as nine points.