Bail set for man charged with pouring boiling water on cat

SHARE Bail set for man charged with pouring boiling water on cat

A South Side man was charged with animal torture after he allegedly poured boiling water on a cat and posted a video of the incident on Facebook.

As the water cascaded down, the cat could be heard screaming before scurrying away, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Erin Antonietti said at Leon Teague’s bond hearing Friday.

“The cat … ran from one end of the porch to the other screaming in pain,” according to the police report.

Authorities who came to Teague’s apartment earlier this week saw the scalded black and white cat in the back yard of the building, in the 6900 block of South King Drive. But they were unable to secure it, police said.

Teague, 18, is also charged with misdemeanor depiction of animal cruelty.

The officers came to Teague’s residence after they were alerted to the startling Facebook post that went up on the social media site around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Teague posted the video under his page with the name “Glock Boy MurDoc,” Antonietti said.

The video initially showed a pot of boiling water on the stove, Antonietti said.

Then, a male voice could be heard luring the cat on to the back porch into the camera’s view.

Next, an arm can be seen pouring the water on the cat as the same voice taunts the animal, Antonietti said.

The steam is seen rising from the water as it falls, Antonietti said.

As Antonietti described the allegations in court, Judge Peggy Chiampas berated a man in the galleys for breaking out into a grin.

“This is not funny to me,” the judge said. “I don’t know what you’re smiling about.”

Antonietti said when police came to Teague’s door, he told them he knew they were there because of a video. Teague told the officers he had been waiting for them to come, his police report said.

Once inside, officers recognized the layout of the apartment from the video, Antonietti said. They also recognized Teague’s voice from the Facebook post, Antonietti said.

As he was being questioned, Teague allegedly admitted to sharing the video.

“The video was a cat that somebody poured water on,” police said Teague told them.

“If you think I did it, lock me up. S—. I know the system. If I admit to this, I’m going to jail. Glock Boy MurDoc is my Facebook name and people come in and out of my apartment all the time.”

Teague, a senior at Dunbar Vocational High School, is currently on juvenile probation for a residential burglary. He also has another pending residential burglary case, Antonietti said.

Chiampas ordered Teague held in lieu of $10,000 bail. If he cannot bond out with $1,000, he can be released on his own recognizance but must be placed on electronic monitoring if he qualifies, the judge said.

While he awaits trial, Chiampas told Teague he cannot use any form of social media or have any pets or any access to animals.

“Do you understand?” Chiampas asked.

“Yes, ma’am,” Teague replied.

More than a half dozen of Teague’s family and friends were in court Friday, including his mother.

Teague’s supporters refused comment following the brief hearing.

It was unclear whether the cat who was attacked lived nearby or was a stray, police said.

The Latest
The man, believed to be between 40 and 50 years old, was found unresponsive in the middle of police by responding officers.
The man, 39, was shot about 1:50 a.m. in the 400 block of East Erie Street, police said.
Voting, supporting election workers and fighting back against the Big Lie are part of saving our “grand experiment.”
Officials responded to a call of multiple people shot about 12:20 a.m. in the 6500 block of South Martin Luther King Drive.
We cannot live together as a community unless we accord others the same respect we ask for ourselves.