clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Two pet birds killed in Palatine condo fire

The Palatine fire department extinguished an attic fire at a condo building Nov. 1, 2019.
Palatine Fire Department

Two pet birds were killed in a fire that left a condominium uninhabitable late Thursday in northwest suburban Palatine.

Firefighters were called to a two-story, eight-unit condo building in the 2200 block of North Baldwin Way at 11:34 p.m., according to a statement from the Palatine Fire Department. They arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the front of the building and a fire inside one unit.

The fire was under control by 11:54 p.m., the fire department said. No firefighters or residents were injured, although two pet birds died from smoke inhalation.

The fire caused “significant damage” to the unit in which it started, leaving it uninhabitable, fire officials said. Investigators determined the blaze was accidental in nature.