Candle sparks Elmhurst house fire, causing $25K in damage

SHARE Candle sparks Elmhurst house fire, causing $25K in damage
SHARE Candle sparks Elmhurst house fire, causing $25K in damage

A candle started a fire that cased $25,000 in damage to a house in west suburban Elmhurst on Tuesday.

Firefighters were called to the single-family home in the 200 block of South Kenmore Avenue about 9:05 p.m. and found flames in a third-floor office, fire officials said.

Crews quickly put out the fire and no one was injured, officials said.

The fire started because of a candle left burning unattended on a desk, authorities said. The flames did about $25,000 in damage to the home.

Fire officials are urging residents to never leave candles burning out of sight, and to keep them on stable surfaces at least a foot away from anything flammable.

The Latest
Jamari Robinson was arrested 13 hours after he allegedly killed Rashaun Johnson early Sunday in the entryway of the complex in the 7800 block of South Laflin Street.
Mayoral allies and critics alike again condemned the crackdown as a desperate response that will have no impact on an outbreak of youth violence downtown — but signed off on it anyway.
The board voted 3-2 Wednesday to increase CPS’ obligation to the underfunded pensions to more than triple what it paid in 2020. Before that, the city covered the full cost.
Arroyo entered a blind plea of guilty in November to a wire fraud count that said he was paid bribes in exchange for promoting legislation in Springfield.
Joseph Kromelis, 75 — a homeless man well-known for walking the streets of the Loop — suffered third-degree burns over 65% of his body.