NEW YORK — Monsanto on Tuesday rejected a second and richer takeover bid from Bayer.
The German drug and chemicals company last week boosted its offer from $62 billion to about $65 billion, or $125 per share.
Monsanto Co., a seed company, called the revised offer inadequate, as it did the initial bid.
The St. Louis company said that it remains open to talks with Bayer and others about a deal.
Bayer on Tuesday said that it was disappointed with the second rejection, and took a shot at the company in a written statement.
“The revised all-cash offer is a compelling opportunity and represents immediate and certain value for Monsanto shareholders amid recent weak business performance and Monsanto’s reduced mid-term outlook,” Bayer said.
It said it looked forward to further negotiations.