clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Sale to start Thursday vs. Cubs; Ranaudo Wednesday

Chris Sale delivers in the first inning during the game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on June 21, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Adam Glanzman/Getty Images)

White Sox ace Chris Sale will make his next start against the Cubs Thursday at Wrigley Field, and Anthony Ranaudo, not Jacob Turner, will start Wednesday.

Sale is eligible to come off the suspended list Thursday. He was suspended Sunday for violating team rules, for insubordination and for destroying team uniforms before his scheduled start against the Tigers Saturday.

The Sox host the Cubs Monday and Tuesday at U.S. Cellular Field before the Crosstown Series shifts to Wrigley for two games.

Ranaudo was 5-3 with two complete games and a 3.20 ERA for AAA Charlotte in 13 starts this season. The Sox acquired him in a trade with the Texas Rangers for right-hander Matt Ball on May 12. Turner made two starts in place of Carlos Rodon (disabled list) and didn’t get past the fourth inning in either one.

Sale, objecting to wearing 1976 throwback uniforms, cut them up before Saturday’s game, which he was supposed to start, and was scratched from the lineup and sent home. The Sox announced the suspension the following day.

Asked if Sale will need to address his teammates when he returns, manager Robin Ventura said, “I don’t think so. Guys have seen a lot of stuff and it’s about playing, I think they’re about playing and we’ll go with that until something needs to be addressed.”

Ventura was forced to start reliever Matt Albers and five other relievers, using up almost his entire bullpen.

“Yeah, I’m sure they’ll have conversations about it,” Ventura said. “But I don’t think we need to have a whole team meeting and address it that way.

“We’ll deal with that when he gets here.”

Lawrie improving

Second baseman Brett Lawrie (hamstring) missed a fourth straight start but could play, Ventura said.

“Really today, if he wasn’t able to go he probably would have gone on the DL,” Ventura said. “I think he’s still at the point if we can give him today it would be better. But he can go in there if we need him to play.”

Mariners clubhouse manager will get paid, Eaton says

White Sox players left Seattle last week without paying clubhouse dues and tips in protest of the Mariners’ new policy that puts 60 percent of the dues into an account managed by the team, but visiting clubhouse manager Jeff Bopp will get paid by the players one way or another.

“I will say that I have an envelope full of checks ready to be sent out,” Sox player rep Adam Eaton said Monday.

The Sox declined to pay because Mariners management made itself part of the financial relationship between players and clubbies, which allows Bopp to receive 40 percent of the dues, all tips and his salary. The other 60 percent of the dues goes to a team account and helps pay for food and the salaries of clubhouse assistants.

Other teams have tried to get around the Mariners policy, including the Cleveland Indians, Eaton said.

“We want to give the money to the people doing the work in the clubhouse,” Eaton said. “We don’t want the front office taking money from the guy down there working till 1 in the morning cleaning our uniforms and spikes. We treat those guys with the utmost respect. They work their butts off. When we made the decision as a team not to pay it’s because we want that clubbie to get the money he deserves.

“We’re going to pay Jeff but we want a policy change. We’ve reached out to other teams and they’re going to do the same thing.”

Such arrangements are expected to be included in the next collective bargaining agreement. The current one expires in December.

Rodon rehab

Left-hander Carlos Rodon was scheduled to make a rehab start Monday night with AAA Charlotte at Louisville. Rodon has been on the DL since July 9, retroactive to July 6, with a sprained left wrist. Rodon is 2-7 with a 4.50 ERA and 91 strikeouts over 16 starts. Eight of his starts have been quality starts.