Man dies 5 days after fight on West Side

SHARE Man dies 5 days after fight on West Side

Sun-Times file photo

A North Lawndale man died five days after he was hit with a baseball bat and punched in a fight in the Austin neighborhood on the West Side.

Andre Jackson, 23, was pronounced dead at 5:51 a.m. Tuesday at Mount Sinai Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. An autopsy Wednesday found he died of complications from multiple blunt force injuries and his death was ruled a homicide.

Police were called to a report of a battery at 9:30 p.m. Thursday in the 4800 block of Quincy, according to Chicago Police. Jackson and a 20-year-old man were driving in the area of Gladys and Kolmar avenues when another vehicle blocked their path. Three people got out of the vehicle and started an argument with the two men.

The three people beat Jackson and the 20-year-old with baseball bats and their fists, police said.

Jackson and the 20-year-old fled to the 4800 block of West Quincy Street where they were picked up by paramedics for treatment, police said. The 20-year-old was treated for minor injuries. Jackson was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, where he later died.

Jackson lived in the 4100 block of West 19th Street in the North Lawndale neighborhood, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Area North detectives are investigating.

The Latest
On $800 million in tax increases to pay for an array of new social programs, he told the City Club of Chicago, “I’m ready and willing to negotiate the details.”
The victim of the attack, a 54-year-old man who has not been identified, was found unconscious early Saturday on a stairwell landing at the station, police said.
Ald. Monique Scott, who was appointed to the role less than a year ago, is facing Creative Scott, a small business owner and political outsider. While their histories differ, the two candidates share more than just the same last name.
The board of the Tallahassee Classical School pressured Principal Hope Carrasquilla to resign last week after an image of the David was shown to a sixth-grade art class.