clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Basement fire in Wheaton started from combustable rags

Sun-Times file photo

A basement fire in west suburban Wheaton was under control within minutes of the arrival of firefighters on Thursday.

About 7 p.m., the Wheaton Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at a single-family residence in the 200 block of North Pierce, according to a statement issued by the department.

The resident of the home was taken to safety and no injuries were reported, the fire department said.

Investigators ruled the fire started from combustible rags containing a solvent for stain application that was improperly disposed of in the basement, according to the statement. An estimate of the cost of damages was unavailable Friday. The building was declared uninhabitable.