A husband and wife were both killed in an accidental house fire Saturday night in southwest suburban Plainfield.
Police and firefighters responded at 10:38 p.m. to a house fire in the 2900 block of Sun Valley Court in Plainfield, according to a statement from Joliet police.
A male who lives in the basement of the home told investigators he smelled smoke and walked upstairs, at which point he saw thick smoke, police said. He then went back downstairs and climbed out of a basement window.
Firefighters later found two other residents inside the building who did not get out in time, police said.
Brone Zukiene, 60, was taken to Saint Joseph Medical Center in Joliet, where she was pronounced dead at 11:30 p.m., the coroner’s office said. Zukiene’s husband, 61-year-old Rimantas Zukas, was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:50 p.m.
Preliminary autopsy reports Monday indicated the husband and wife both suffered from smoke inhalation, the coroner’s office said. The final cause and manner of death will be determined at a later date, pending police, autopsy and toxicological reports.
Police said there were a number of candles inside, and fire officials believe the fire was accidental in nature.