Man charged with August killing in Homan Square

SHARE Man charged with August killing in Homan Square
franciscosaldana.jpg

Francisco Saldana | Chicago Police

An 18-year-old man has been charged with fatally shooting another man last month in the Homan Square neighborhood on the West Side.

Francisco Saldana faces first-degree murder charges for the Aug. 21 attack in the 3700 block of West Grenshaw, according to Chicago Police.

Shortly after midnight, officers responding to a call of a person shot found 24-year-old Jesus Santiago Valois on the porch of his home with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Valois told investigators he had been shot nearby before walking home for help, authorities said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died at 1:30 a.m.

Saldana, of the 5300 block of South Maplewood, was arrested Thursday. He appeared in court Friday, where a judge ordered him held on a $1 million bond, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office. He is due in court again Oct. 12.


The Latest
Getz isn’t naming names, but it’s known he’s listening on everyone, Garrett Crochet, Luis Robert Jr. and Erick Fedde included. He acknowledged five or six players could be dealt as the Sox build for the future.
Two things are already clear: Sonya Massey, who called 911 for help, should still be alive. And Sean Grayson, who held six police jobs in four years, probably had no business being a Sangamon County deputy.
Hoover, called “one of the most notorious criminals in Illinois history,” is scheduled to make a rare public appearance in court Sept. 26. He claims to have renounced the criminal organization he led.
The Cubs lost to the Brewers 3-2 on Wednesday to fall 11 games back in the division standings.
The Sox’ run toward the 1962 Mets’ dreaded 120 losses looks more realistic by the day.