canadamosqueshooting013017.jpg

Police survey the scene after deadly shooting at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada, on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017. Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard called the act “barbaric violence” and expressed solidarity with victims’ families. | Francis Vachon/The Canadian Press via AP

6 dead, 8 wounded in shooting at Quebec City mosque

SHARE 6 dead, 8 wounded in shooting at Quebec City mosque
SHARE 6 dead, 8 wounded in shooting at Quebec City mosque

MONTREAL — Six people were killed and eight were injured in a shooting at a Quebec City mosque during evening prayers, the president of the center said Sunday. Authorities reported two arrests in what Quebec’s premier and Canada’s prime minister called an act of terrorism.

Christine Coulombe, the Quebec Provincial Police spokeswoman, said some of the wounded were gravely injured. She says the dead were about 35 to 70 years of age. Thirty-nine people were in the mosque at the time of the attack. Two people have been arrested.

Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre President Mohamed Yangui said the shooting happened in the men’s section of the mosque. He said he wasn’t at the center when the attack occurred, but he got some details from people on the scene.

He said an estimated 60 to 100 people would have been there at the time of the shooting. “We are sad for the families,” he said.

Both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard characterized the attack as a terrorist act, which came amid heightened tensions worldwide over U.S. President Donald Trump’s travel ban on certain Muslim countries.

“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge,” Trudeau said in a statement. “It is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.

“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country,” he said. “Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.”

Quebec City police spokesman Constable Pierre Poirier said two suspects were arrested. Police said the mosque had been evacuated and things were under control.

Trudeau said on Twitter that he spoke to Quebec’s premier and was being briefed by officials. The prime minister said the government had offered “any & all assistance needed.”

Trudeau had earlier reacted to Trump’s visa ban for people from certain Muslim-majority countries by tweeting Saturday: “To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada.”

Trudeau also posted a picture of him greeting a Syrian child at Toronto’s airport in late 2015. Trudeau oversaw the arrival of more than 39,000 Syrian refugees soon after he was elected.

Couillard termed the Sunday mosque attack as “barbaric violence” and expressed solidarity with the victims’ families.

The mayor of Gatineau, Quebec, near Canada’s capital of Ottawa, said there would be increased police presence at mosques around his city following the attack.

The New York Police Department said it was stepping up patrols at mosques and other hours of worships in its city.

The NYPD issued a statement Sunday night saying Critical Response Command personnel had been “assigned to extended tour coverage” at certain mosques.

“NYPD is providing additional protection for mosques in the city. All New Yorkers should be vigilant. If you see something, say something,” New York City Mayor Bill Blasio said on Twitter.

“Our prayers tonight are with the people of Quebec City as they deal with a terrible attack on a mosque. We must stand together,” Blasio said in another tweet.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said on Twitter Sunday that he was deeply saddened by the loss of life. His office said no motive had been confirmed.

In the summer of 2016 a pig’s head was left on the doorstep of the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre.

The incident occurred in the middle of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn to sunset. Practicing Muslims do not eat pork.

Francois Deschamps, an organizer of a refugee-support group in Quebec City, said the motive was unknown, but right-wing groups are very organized in Quebec City and distribute fliers at the university and plaster stickers around town.

Deschamps said he has personally received death threats after starting a refugee support group on Facebook and people have posted his address online.

“I’m not very surprised about the event,” Deschamps said.

Canada is generally very welcoming toward immigrants and all religions, but it’s less so in the French-speaking province of Quebec.

Gillies reported from Toronto.

The Latest
Today’s update is a 5-minute read that will brief you on the day’s biggest stories.
Attorney General Kwame Raoul should investigate the manner of compensation of red light camera companies throughout the Chicagoland suburbs and Illinois.
“He said there are a lot of things that happen in Chicago, you see so many kids lose their lives at early ages ... He couldn’t even make it to 17,” the boy’s mentor said.
The last time Delle Donne played a full season was 2019, when she won her second MVP award and led the Mystics to a WNBA championship.
Ald. Gilbert Villegas slammed the new map, saying it is fitting that his 36th Ward now resembles a snake: “You had some of my colleagues that were, I guess, self-portraits of snakes that were drawing a snake to memorialize the back-stabbing that took place.”