gavel8.jpg

Sun-Times file photo

Sister sues after fatal shooting of unarmed man by police officer

SHARE Sister sues after fatal shooting of unarmed man by police officer
SHARE Sister sues after fatal shooting of unarmed man by police officer

The sisterof a 38-year-old man who was shot to death by a an off-duty Chicago police officer has filed a federal lawsuit against the city, alleging there was a “code of silence” among police to cover-up the shooting.

The nine-count suit was filed Friday morning in U.S. District Court names the city and the officer. His name has not been released by the Chicago Police Department, though he is named in the suit.

Jose Nieves was shot by the 57-year-old officer, who is assigned to the mass transit unit, about 9:15 a.m. Monday in the 2500 block of North Lowell, according to Chicago Police. An “altercation” between the men escalated and Nieves was shot several times. He was unarmed at the time.

Nieves was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he died from frommultiple gunshot wounds at 9:51 a.m., police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. His death was ruled a homicide.

Jose Nieves | Facebook

Jose Nieves | Facebook

The following day, Supt. Eddie Johnson stripped the officer of his police powers.

The lawsuit, filed by Nieves’ sister, alleges the CPD “conspired” to presentmisleading reports. It statesthe department’s “code of silence” prevents a proper investigation into civilians who are shot by Chicago police.

The suit also claims the officer threatened to arrest and physically harm Nieves.

The officer “had good reason to believe that his misconduct would not be revealed or reported by fellow officers or their supervisors … thereby protecting him from the consequences of his unconstitutional conduct,” the suit said.

CPD and Independent Police Review Authority have opened simultaneous investigations into the shooting.

Court records show Nieves had been arrested more than 20 times on charges that included domestic battery, theft, burglary and assault. He was convicted only once, in 2012, on charges of marijuana possession and possession of a replica gun. He was sentenced to court supervision.

The suit allegesconspiracy, wrongful death, unconstitutional seizure, battery among other claims. It seeks an undisclosed amount of damages.

A spokesman for the city’s Law Department said they had not seen the suit and could not comment.

The Latest
One step would be to adjust the deadline in the city’s heating ordinance to a date earlier than June 1.
Zoning Committee Chairman Tom Tunney (44th), who doubles as the casino committee chairman, said he is not at all certain that the votes are there to approve the companion agreements. “There’s still a lot of work to be done. I don’t know if we can get it done by Friday. But that’s their goal...We might need more time. That’s all I’m gonna say.”
The shooting happened at the Warwick Allerton Hotel, officials said.
Democrats across the nation are hoping to use the leaked Supreme Court draft opinion that could signal the overturning of Roe v. Wade to bring voters to the polls. That’s a trickier strategy for Valencia in the secretary of state’s race.
We need more alternative activities for these young people, summer jobs, outreach workers downtown to engage with youth and more.