Teen charged with shooting outside Palatine Wal-Mart

unzueta_copy.jpg

Giovanny Unzueta | Palatine police

Bond was denied Wednesday for a 17-year-old boy charged with shooting and critically wounding a man last week outside a Wal-Mart in northwest suburban Palatine.

Giovanny Unzueta faces one count of attempted first-degree murder and one count count of aggravated battery with a firearm, both felonies, according to Palatine police. He was charged as an adult.

Officers responded about 7:30 p.m. Feb. 7 to the store at 1555 N. Rand Rd. and found a 19-year-old man shot once in the face in the parking lot, police said.

He was conscious and was able to provide information to the officers, police said. He was taken in critical condition to Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, where he underwent surgery.

Police said the man, who does not have a gang affiliation, was a victim of mistaken identity. He has since been released from the hospital.

Unzueta, a known gang member and a Palatine resident, was identified as the shooter, police said. He was jailed without bond at a Wednesday hearing, records show. He is due in court again March 3.

Police are still investigating the shooting. Anyone with information should call detectives at (847) 359-9000; or Crime Stoppers at (847) 590-7867.

The Latest
Jones reported symptoms Sunday and will miss Monday’s game.
Mayor Brandon Johnson on Sunday was briefing members of the Chicago City Council on his latest ideas to get his 2025 budget approved by year’s end.
Thomas Brown’s offense gained 398 yards and scored 27 points against Brian Flores’ defense at Soldier Field. He knows Flores will respond. It’ll be up to Brown to counter.
Caleb Williams and the Bears’ offense will be challenged to respond in a tough environment after hitting the wall against the 49ers. The Bears’ defense has to find a way to put pressure on Sam Darnold after Darnold threw for 330 yards vs. the Bears at Soldier Field.