Claudia Sanchez-Gomez (left), Sergio Perez (center) and Lucas Perez. | Aurora police

3 facing charges after 5-hour standoff with Aurora police

SHARE 3 facing charges after 5-hour standoff with Aurora police
SHARE 3 facing charges after 5-hour standoff with Aurora police

Three people are facing chargesafter a home burglary turned into a five-hour standoff with police Saturday night in west suburban Aurora.

Sergio Perez, 25, and his brother, 24-year-old Lucas Perez, each face felony counts of armed violence, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and residential burglary;and a single misdemeanor count of resisting police, according to Aurora police. Claudia Sanchez-Gomez, 22, faces one felony count of obstructing justice.

About 6 p.m. Saturday, alert neighbors called 911 to report two men acting suspiciously after gettingout of a gray Honda Accord in the 300 block of South Western Avenue, according to police. The men were seen walking to the back of a home and trying to kick in a back door.

Patrol officers responded and spotted the Honda, which was driven by Sanchez-Gomez, police said. She had a passenger in the car, a 23-year-old Big Rock woman. When questioned by officers, the women’s stories did not match up.

A patrol sergeant found signs of forced entry to the home where the men were seen kicking in the door, and heard theminside throwing items around, police said. One of the brothersstuck his head out an open window, saw the police and quickly ducked back inside.

Officers surrounded the home and 911 operators contacted the homeowner, who said he had a large cache of loaded guns of all types and sizes inside the house, police said. The guns were not locked up.

The brothersrefused to leave the home and and a SWAT team was called, police said. For the next five hours, they yelled threats at the officers, became increasingly irate, smashed numerous windows, and pointed guns outside.

At 10:42 p.m., Lucas Perez pointed a shotgun directly at a group of officers, and one of the officers returned fire, firing multiple shots, police said. The shots struck a window frame.

About the same time, officers shot multiple canisters of gas inside the home.

The brothers surrendered at 11:10 p.m., but fought with officers the entire time they were being handcuffed, police said.No officers were injured.

The brothers were treated at an Aurora hospital for multiple cuts to the hands suffered when breaking windows, police said.

The 23-year-old passenger of the Honda was released without being charged.

Police believe the three charged were also involved in another home burglary between 8:40 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. the same day in the 200 block of South Randall Road. A computer, jewelry and other items worth about $3,000 were taken.

The investigation into that burglary remains ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to call (630) 256-5500.

The Latest
Autopsy results are still pending for the women, who were found unresponsive at the James Sneider Apartments, where the local alderperson said the air conditioning remained off during last week’s hot spell.
The mayor’s announcement that the citywide weekend curfew on minors would be set at 10 p.m. comes a day after she imposed a ban on unaccompanied minors in Millennium Park after 6 p.m., Thursdays through Sundays.
New album ‘Second Nature’ follows ‘lucky’ gigs with The War on Drugs, Roger Waters, Harry Styles and more.
“I’m just amazed that of all of the things that happened in my career,” Ryan said, “I’m still known for that.”
Kalil Tate, K’Vion Thunderbird, Logan Lester and Marquise Lightfoot have college coaches flocking to Kenwood.