cnnretraction.jpg

Anthony Scaramucci, a senior adviser to President-elect Donald Trump, talks to reporters in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York on Jan. 13, 2017. | Evan Vucci/AP file photo

Trump Twitter: President takes another swipe at CNN after resignations

SHARE Trump Twitter: President takes another swipe at CNN after resignations
SHARE Trump Twitter: President takes another swipe at CNN after resignations

NEW YORK — President Donald Trump used the resignations of three CNN journalists involved in a retracted Russia-related story to resume his attack on the network’s credibility Tuesday.

The story was about a supposed investigation into a pre-inaugural meeting between a Trump associate and the head of a Russian investment fund. CNN accepted the journalists’ resignations Monday.

Trump wrote in a Tuesday morning tweet, “Wow, CNN had to retract big story on ‘Russia,’ with 3 employees forced to resign. What about all the other phony stories they do? FAKE NEWS!”

He followed that up with a hint that there would be a shakeup in the wake of the story and an accusation that CNN had been “caught falsely pushing their phony Russian stories. Ratings way down!”

After that, he used the CNN story to indict all media, saying that “they” had “caught Fake News CNN cold, but what about NBC, CBS & ABC? What about the failing @nytimes & @washingtonpost? They are all Fake News!”

A message seeking comment was left at CNN.

The story was posted on the network’s website Thursday and was removed, with all links disabled, Friday night. CNN immediately apologized to Anthony Scaramucci, the Trump transition team member who was reported to be involved in the meeting.

The story’s author, Thomas Frank, was among those who resigned, according to a network executive who requested anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss personnel issues. Also losing their jobs were Eric Lichtblau, an assistant managing editor in CNN’s Washington bureau, and Lex Haris, head of the investigations unit.

CNN, in initially taking down the story, said it didn’t meet its editorial standards. The episode is a damaging blow for a network that Trump has frequently derided as “fake news,” and for a story that never even made it onto any of CNN’s television networks.

The story had been quickly questioned both internally and externally, including by the conservative site Breitbart News. It was determined that the story was posted without going through the expected checks and balances for a story of such sensitivity, the executive said.

The failure to follow proper procedures is what led to the resignations, the CNN executive said.

It’s not immediately clear what in the story is factually incorrect, or whether CNN will continue to report on the issue. The retracted story had said the Senate investigations committee was looking into a January 16 discussion between Scaramucci and Kirill Dmitriev, whose Russian Direct Investment Fund guides investments by U.S. entities in Russia. Scaramucci, in the story, said he exchanged pleasantries in a restaurant with Dmitriev.

The report also said that two Democratic senators wanted to know whether Scaramucci had indicated in the meeting whether sanctions against Russia would be lifted, a decision that could impact the investment fund.

Following the retraction, Scaramucci tweeted that CNN “did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on.”

Haris, in a statement to CNN’s “Reliable Sources,” noted that he’d been with CNN since 2001, “and am sure about one thing: This is a news organization that prizes accuracy and fairness above all else. I am leaving, but will carry those principles wherever I go.”

Contributing: Sun-Times Staff

The Latest
The youngest homicide victim was a 16-year-old boy shot Saturday near “The Bean” in the Loop.
Mary J. Blige accepts Icon Award after a career filled with “a lot of heartache and pain.”
The teen exchanged gunfire with several occupants of a car at a Citgo parking lot in the 1000 block of Jackson Street on Sunday, police say.
After a chaotic night that ended with a 16-year-old dead, two men wounded and 30 people arrested, Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced minors won’t be allowed in the park after 6 p.m., Thursday through Sunday, unless they’re with a “responsible adult.”