Matthew A. Young | Kane County state’s attorney’s office

Aurora man gets 11 years in prison for check fraud

SHARE Aurora man gets 11 years in prison for check fraud
SHARE Aurora man gets 11 years in prison for check fraud

A west suburban man has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for setting up fraudulent bank accounts using other people’s personal information and then writing bad checks.

Matthew A. Young, 37, pleaded guilty to two felony counts of continuing a financial crimes enterprise on Wednesday in exchange for an 11-year sentence, according to the Kane County state’s attorney’s office.

Between February 2015 and August 2016, Young opened three checking accounts at two banks, using the personal information of three victims without their knowledge or permission, prosecutors said.

Despite knowing the accounts did not have sufficient funds, Young wrote checks to 12 local businesses as payment for items like chain saws and lawnmowers, prosecutors said. He then sold the items and kept the profits.

The combined value of the items was $6,144.78, prosecutors said.

Young was previously convicted of similar crimes in 2012 in DuPage, Kane and McLean counties; and multiple times in Ohio in the early 2000s, prosecutors said.

He was ordered to pay $5,799.19 in restitution, according to the state’s attorney’s office. He will receive credit for 295 days served in the Kane County jail.

The Latest
The Ricketts family, owners of the Cubs, abandoned their bid last month.
The Phoenix Mercury center has been detained since Feb. 17 after vape cartridges containing oil derived from cannabis were allegedly found in her luggage at an airport near Moscow.
Robert Smith’s announcement that he’s leaving Simeon after the season hasn’t been the only move and shake-up in area coaching.
A morning fishing with Matt Mullady on the Kankakee River was good for catching smallmouth bass on topwaters (and other ways), to listen to and watch the birds, and to catch up on family and life.
A local man opened fire at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, about 85 miles west of San Antonio.