Person questioned in Englewood arson released without charges

SHARE Person questioned in Englewood arson released without charges
Firefighters responded to a blaze Nov. 7, 2019, at a recycling center in West Town.

Sun-Times file photo

Sun-Times file photo

A 65-year-old man questioned in connection with an arson fire early Sunday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood has been released without being charged.

At 1:52 a.m.,the manused an accelerant to start the fire in the basement of an apartment building in the 6900 block of South Normal, according to Chicago Police. No injuries were reported and eight people were displaced by the blaze.

Police initially said the man who started the fire was arrested and charges were pending against him.

As ofTuesday afternoon, he had been questioned and released, police said. The investigation was ongoing.

The Latest
Day 1 of the NBA free-agent period was hijacked by Kevin Durant’s desire to be traded out of Brooklyn, and while the Bulls did their due diligence in trying to gage what a Durant package would look like, the top priority remained keeping LaVine in Chicago.
Jackson, a federal judge since 2013, on Thursday became the first Black woman elevated to the nation’s highest court. Mayor Lori Lightfoot tweeted that her “ascension to the bench now tells the world that the seemingly impossible is possible. So proud!”
Joseph Guardia, 27, has been charged with the attack. He has offered no motive to police other than he is an “angry person,” according to prosecutors.
R. Kelly’s legal saga has been an unnecessarily drawn out debacle fueled by denial, greed and the willingness to ignore the cries of mostly Black girls and women.
“To Chicago’s businesses, I want to say loud and clear: Labor laws are not optional. We will hold you accountable,” said a city official on consumer protection.