Man charged with kidnapping girl in Calumet City, video released

SHARE Man charged with kidnapping girl in Calumet City, video released
screen_shot_2018_01_26_at_2_02_19_pm.png

An image taken from video surveillance that allegedly captured a kidnapping Dec. 20, 2017 in Calumet City for which 38-year-old Indiana man has been charged. | FBI

Video of a girl being kidnapped last month in south suburban Calumet City was released Friday as charges were announced against an Indiana man accused of abducting her off the street in broad daylight.

Bryan Protho, 38, of East Chicago, Indiana, was charged Friday with a count of kidnapping, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

On Dec. 20, Protho grabbed the girl as she walked on the sidewalk near 153rd Street and Burnham Avenue, prosecutors said.

He forced the girl into his red Ford Explorer and drove off, prosectors said. He then pulled over in an alley and assaulted the girl. She was able to escape and flag down a passing vehicle.

Protho was arrested seven days later and has been held in federal custody since, prosecutors said. He was expected to be arraigned Feb. 20.

Protho could face 20 years to life in prison if convicted.

The FBI released surveillance footage Friday that allegedly captured the kidnapping. The bureau noted in a statement that the time stamp on the video displayed the wrong date.

Anyone with information regarding the vehicle or suspect seen in the video should contact the FBI Chicago Field office at (312) 421-6700 or chicago@fbi.gov.

The Latest
The man, 21, was found with gunshot wounds to his back and left shoulder in the 9600 block of South Princeton Avenue about 11:35 p.m., police said.
The man, 45, was found by officers with multiple gunshot wounds in the 10700 block of South Champlain Avenue.
NHL
No Cup celebration for Avs as Palat’s goal with 6:22 remaining helps Lightning stave off elimination
But the bigger concern is the Sox’ offense, which managed only one hit Friday.