Musicians’ strike forces cancellation of second Lyric Opera show

SHARE Musicians’ strike forces cancellation of second Lyric Opera show
img_6963_e1539397278631.jpg

Striking musicians picket outside the Lyric Opera on Tuesday. | Adam Thorp/Sun-Times

Another performance of the Lyric Opera’s season-opening run of “La bohème,” originally scheduled for this Sunday afternoon, has been canceled as musicians continue striking against program and orchestra reductions.

“Please be advised that the Sunday matinee performance of La bohème scheduled for Oct. 14 at Lyric Opera of Chicago has been cancelled because of the continuing strike,” a Lyric spokeswoman said in an email late Friday. “Lyric staff is notifying ticket holders of this cancellation.”

The 74 employees from the Chicago Federation of Musicians performed the season premiere last weekend, but rejected Lyric’s “last, best, and final offer,” sending them to the picket line last week and shutting down the opera’s second performance on the calendar on Thursday.

The musicians object to cuts to programming that they feel come at the expense of the opera’s quality and their members’ well-being. Other key points of contention: a plan to reduce the size of the orchestra by five members, from 74 members to 69 and a cut in the length of the season from 24 to 22 weeks.

The reduced number of paid performances would amount to an 8 percent cut in pay for members, despite nominal increases in wages, union representatives said.

Lyric representatives said they wanted to bring the contract in line with the reduced number of performances on the Lyric’s schedule. Once, the opera put on as many as 90 performances in a season. This year, it is slated for 55.

The next scheduled performance of “La bohème” is still on Lyric’s schedule for Wednesday, Oct. 17.

The Latest
The dead included a 3-year-old boy who was killed when someone in a vehicle fired shots during an apparent road rage incident.
Longtime cast member from Chicago is left out of the show’s opening while on leave for a play.
The 21-year-old was found with multiple gunshot wounds about 9 p.m. in the 300 block of West 110th Street, where a 30-year-old man was fatally shot just hours earlier.
The Sox said Kopech will be ready for spring training without restrictions.