Quarterback John Bean stepped up in a big way for No. 6 Brother Rice over the weekend. The senior led the Crusaders to their third consecutive shut out win and helped them remain undefeated. That’s why he was awarded Sun-Times’ Player of the Week honors for Week 9 of the 2018 season.
Bean had his hand in four touchdowns— three rushing and one passing— in the Warriors’ 31-0 road win over then No. 13 Montini on Friday. (Following the loss, Montini dropped two spots down to No. 15 on the Sun-Times Super 25 rankings.)
For the first time on Sun-Times Game Week, our preps team— featuring Michael O’Brien, Annie Costabile and Beth Long— unanimously agreed that Bean, who was nominated for last week’s Player of the Week honor, was deserving of the title.
Bean was appreciative of the accolade but gave credit to his team.
Brother Rice is scheduled to play Zion-Benton on Saturday in the first round of the IHSA playoffs.
Check in next Monday at 4:30 p.m. for another Player of the Week on the next episode of “Sun-Times Game Week” on the Sun-Times High School Sports Facebook page.
More Sun-Times high school sports stories
- VIDEO: Watch the CST Game Week show for playoff predictions
- PLAYOFF BRACKETS: The complete list of high school football playoff brackets
- Beth Long’s predictions for football playoff bracket 8A
- Beth Long’s predictions for football playoff bracket 7A
- Game of the Week: Payton vs Kenwood; wild game, wild finish