Sun-Times Washington Bureau Chief Lynn Sweet talked with Democratic consultant Eric Adelstein and former Illinois Republican chairman Pat Brady about the impact of TV ads on the midterm election Nov. 6. Adelstein creates many of the political ads you are watching on TV right now, including political commercials for Democratic nominee for Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul; U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider, running for re-election in the 10th district; U.S. Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, running for re-election in the 8th district and Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza.
Brady and Adelstein were asked about:
- The impact of running negative ads in the closing days of a campaign
- The effect of negative ads on turnout
- How campaigns decide what to put into an ad
- The price paid for inaccurate ads (Accuracy doesn’t matter as much as it used to.)
- How digital ads have complicated the campaigns
- Adelstein’s ad for Susana Mendoza
- Why Trump is hurting the vote of suburban women
- Which congressional candidates are being hurt by Trump
- Adelstein’s ad work in the Georgia governor’s race
- Biden’s visit to Illinois help the Dems
- Brady and Adelstein predict the outcome of the Illinois governor’s and AG’s race
Watch the video above for that and more, plus learn about the candidate positions and races at the Sun-Times 2018 Illinois Voting Guide, where we will stream our political conversations live each weekday at noon between now and Nov. 6.