Parole denied again for Illinois inmate for 1960 killings

SHARE Parole denied again for Illinois inmate for 1960 killings
wegerbkgd.jpg

Chester Weger has again been denied parole in the 1960 killing of three women in Starved Rock State Park. | Illinois Department of Corrections via AP

SPRINGFIELD — Illinois officials have again denied parole to a 79-year-old inmate sentenced to life in prison for the 1960 killings of three suburban Chicago women in a state park.

The Illinois Prisoner Review Board voted 7-7 Thursday on Chester Weger’s request, leaving him short of the needed majority vote for his release. The Chicago Tribune reports his attorneys protested, noting that one board member was absent.

Weger has continued to deny he killed the women from Riverside, whose badly beaten bodies were found in a Starved Rock State Park cave. Weger was 21 and worked as a dishwasher at the state park lodge. Jurors convicted him in 1961.

The board has denied his parole requests dating to 1972, although it also deadlocked 7-7 last year.

The Latest
Haberman is the New York Times reporter who, as she writes, spent her career at “news outlets Trump cares most about.”
“It hurts me so much not waking up to my baby,” says Veronica Zastro, whose 3-year-old was shot dead in an apparent road-range incident in West Lawn.
Wesneski began the season in the Yankees’ farm system and ended it in the Cubs’ big-league rotation.
“It will be a different process,” Hahn said of the managerial search.
La Russa concedes disappointment as he leaves Sox to deal with his health issues.