ORLANDO, Fla. — Bears general manager Ryan Pace gave cornerback Marcus Cooper another chance.
Pace confirmed the team agreed to terms on a one-year deal with Cooper, who was cut March 14, along with former starting quarterback Mike Glennon and receiver Markus Wheaton. Cooper’s release voided the three-year, $16 million deal he signed with the Bears last year.
“We were very open and honest with him and his agents in that process,” Pace said Tuesday during the NFL’s annual meetings. “Marcus was able to explore the market a little bit. We feel very fortunate and very happy to have him back in the mix.”
Cooper remains the Bears’ third cornerback behind Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara, who also recently received new contracts.
His first season with the Bears is best remembered for an inexplicable decision in Week 3 against the Steelers, when he stopped a yard short of returning a blocked field goal for a touchdown. Fuller’s re-emergence also led to Cooper becoming a reserve. He started only four games.
“Obviously, we feel good about him,” Pace said. “There’s a reason why he’s back. Right now, [it’s] kind of a clean slate for 2018. Let him attack this offseason and work himself back in.”
Other roster moves
The Bears officially re-signed defensive back/special-teams standout Sherrick McManis to a two-year contract.
“It’s huge,” Pace said. “He’s one of our best special-teams players. He’s a valuable depth player on defense. But then, also, from a very critical standpoint, [it’s] the intangibles he brings and the leadership he brings on a relatively young team.”
The Bears also agreed to terms with long snapper Patrick Scales. He missed all of last season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
Follow me on Twitter @adamjahns